This blog was written so I don’t have to explain the same stuff over and over to clients.
- What theme is best?
- Why or why not to this webhost?
- How can I do xyz?
WPJohnny exists as a handy copy-paste resource for me and my clients more than anything.
Born in Los Angeles in 1984. Love tech, boxing, and tango (dance). Oh, and drinking too! (Beer & Scotch-drinker.)
My tech background:
- 2020 – released WPJ plugins into the wild. Started pagebuilder-removal service. Many posts during Covid-19 lockdown.
- 2019 – more focus on JohnnyVPS, our webhosting service. Unloaded tons of posts at WPJ. Also started WPJ Facebook group.
- 2018 – released our webhosting service to the public instead of only in-house clients. Lots of free time helping others on Facebook groups for WordPress, webhosting, or performance-related issues. Rebranded my old site TheVanguardEffect to WPJohnny.
- 2017 – recruited more talented designers, developers, and admins to our team.
- 2016 – started limiting our web development service to only high-end projects.
- 2014 – moved back to LA and enjoying co-workspace environments.
- 2012 – moved from Los Angeles to San Francisco. Enjoyed the tech scene there.
- 2011 – stopped onboarding new clients so I could focus on personal tech projects.
- 2010 – teamed up with other remote specialists so I wasn’t handling everything myself.
- 2009 – began server administration and performance optimization due to success of mine and client websites.
- 2008 – graduated from Cal State Northridge with a B.S. in Marketing. Quit the IT world to focus on our company’s web-development services. Also became a full-time blogger.
- 2007 – became a full-time web-marketing consultant and SEO/PPC specialist.
- 2006 – started messing with web design in Dreamweaver. Eventually found content-management systems (CMS) like Joomla & WordPress.
- 2004 – started doing IT work professionally. Break-fix & networking for small and even large Fortune 500 companies.
- 1999 – doing IT break-fix work for family and friends.
- 1991 – played on my first computer at age 7. Messing with DOS and Qbasic.
My tech skills:
- web development & online marketing
- traditional marketing/branding, ad campaigns
- SEO, PPC (Google Adwords, Facebook ads)
- Social media marketing (Facebook, Twitter, Youtube)
- design UI/UX direction
- content marketing, SEO, copywriting
- web server management & speed optimization
- WordPress design, development, maintenance, and [speed optimization]
- e-commerce (WooCommerce/Shopify/Magento)
- Amazon Affiliates, Ebay network
- newsletter management (Mailchimp, Mailerlite)
- saving people time & money!
A typical day in my life…
Wake up, take care of client websites and servers. Do some writing, get lost in the maze of Youtube. Eat something, maybe go to the gym. Come home, write some more, answer some comments, go to sleep.
…typical day when traveling:
Go out to town. See some stuff, take pictures, eat stuff, come home exhausted. Check my email and answer all the comments on my sites.
Other sites I like that may or may not fit my ultra-biased opinions on tech matters: