This is the fastest hassle-free way to clone your database in phpMyAdmin.
- Log into your webhosting and phpMyAdmin.
- Click on the database you want to clone.
- Click on the Operations tab. (Usually something like “username_wp”.)
- Scroll down to Copy Database to text field, and enter in the new database name. (You only have to put the last part of the name, not the username prefix in front of it. I also like to put “dev” at the end of it to know what it’s a clone of. So I might put in “wpdev” to end up with username_wpdev.)
- Click the Go button and that’s it! (Refresh the page to see the new database on left side.)
If you’re curious, these 4 options should be checked/selected…although the correct ones should already be preselected.
- Structure and data – copies all tables and data.
- CREATE DATABASE before copying – assuming you didn’t already create it.
- Add AUTO_INCREMENT value
- Add constraints