My comparison of different (free) file manager scripts out there.
Useful if you want a “file manager” feature for your sites or web server (and your webhosting stack doesn’t have one). Or if you’re like me and building your own webhosting panel. I was just shopping around different scripts and these were what I found. Hope it helps ya!
Things I cared about:
- Clean UI – minimal, don’t wanna see lines all over and waste of vertical space. Easy to navigate.
- Shows useful info – file/folder sizes, permissions, ownership.
- Full featured – especially archiving! It seems many didn’t have.
- Customizable – for custom colors or branding, nice to have but not more important than other points above.
Best file managers so far…
- TinyFileManager (demo) – best one IMO. Has all features and looks “good enough”. Minimal without wasting space.
- FileBrowser (demo) – still too simple, UI takes too much space, and I don’t see archive options.
- FileGator (demo) – too simple and missing critical features, like archiving. But some people may like its cleaner pretty-ness.
- Chonky (demo) – too simple, not enough critical features.