My comparison of different (free) file manager scripts out there.
Useful if you want a “file manager” feature for your sites or web server (and your webhosting stack doesn’t have one). Or if you’re like me and building your own webhosting panel. I was just shopping around different scripts and these were what I found. Hope it helps ya!
Things I cared about:
- Clean UI – minimal, don’t wanna see lines all over and waste of vertical space. Easy to navigate.
- Shows useful info – file/folder sizes, permissions, ownership.
- Full featured – especially archiving! It seems many didn’t have.
- Customizable – for custom colors or branding, nice to have but not more important than other points above.
Best file managers so far…
- TinyFileManager (demo) – best one IMO. Has all features and looks “good enough”. Minimal without wasting space.
- FileBrowser (demo) – still too simple, UI takes too much space, and I don’t see archive options.
- FileGator (demo) – too simple and missing critical features, like archiving. But some people may like its cleaner pretty-ness.
- Chonky (demo) – too simple, not enough critical features.
How do you think about elFinder that is often used in WP file manager plugins?
Though it’s not really full fledged file manager, it’s useful for some purposes, such as managing media files on the server.
Maybe that one works well too but I didn’t like its desktop file explorer UI. I wanted something more of a typical web-hosting file manager look.
I see, thanks.
What about monstaftp ?
btw I love you blog, good job.
Oooh Joan, that was fun to see. Really clean interface!!! I didn’t know browser-based FTP clients existed. If not for it costing money (not good if I want to deploy server-wide in many places), I would definitely play with that. Thanks so much for recommending!
And thanks for the words about my blog.