My positive review of this donation and fundraising WordPress plugin.
It works well, full of all the features you need. And definitely suitable as an alternative to the typical fundraising/crowdfunding platforms out there.
Why use GiveWP over donation (GoFundMe) or crowdfunding (KickStarter) platforms?
I think this is the biggest question to address first. Why should you go with GiveWP over the existing well-establishing fundraising platforms? I’m sure there are many reasons but these were our reasons for choosing GiveWP:
- Support for more countries – (In our case, we needed support for Honduras which GoFundMe doesn’t allow.)
- Fees – other platforms might charge more or come with hidden fees for specific use cases and functions.
- More design control – maybe you prefer a more customized layout. I don’t think it’s a big deal. But can definitely see why someone looking for a ton of funds for a premium product might care about this.
- More platform control – running the fundraising right off your own website gives you more control overall. Not only for design but also specific functionality or better integration with other website things you have.
GiveWP features and strengths
As far as I know, GiveWP has all the features and functions you would want in a fundraising plugin. It’s also coded well and works beautifully. Easy to setup for a non-technical user but flexible to extend for a developer.
- Just about any country/currency accepted.
- Different payment gateways.
- Setup different donation amounts, also allows custom amount.
- Recurring donations – basically a donation subscription.
- Comment wall – showing list and message of people who donated. Can decide what info to show or not (their name, their donation amount, etc).
- Integration with email marketing and Zapier – to auto add them to your lists, etc.
- WooCommerce integration – cool add-on to allow “donation upsells”. (That little message asking buyers to chip in a few extra bucks when checking out.)
- Receipts – donors can gets receipts for each donation, also an annual receipt.
- Reports – really nice. You can see what everyone gave and for what, etc.
- Custom forms – build custom forms and form fields in your donation process.
Overall, I just I really liked the vibe of the team behind GiveWP. Matt Cromwell (GiveWP’s head developer) is a great guy in the WordPress community. I really enjoyed using his plugin and can seeing it being super useful for all crowdfunding purposes (not only for donation causes).
How does GiveWP compare to other donation plugins?
- I’ll be honest, I haven’t tried the rest but they don’t look anywhere near as polished. Not in their website professionalism. Not in their features. Not in their integrations.
- If I wasn’t using GiveWP…I might do a custom form with FluentForms instead. I have zero interest in other donation plugins.
Try GiveWP today.
- You can also see how we used GiveWP over at HelpWalter.com (and yes, please support the cause!)
Leave a Reply