Simple list of ways to test a website from different servers.
- Sick of editing your hosts file?
- Need to compare 2 versions of your website on different servers?
- Want to see a website function live from a domain of your choice?
Well here are some ways to get the job done.
1. Hosts preview site
There are many sites offering this server:
- hosts.cx (no longer working)
- In case you ever forget these sites, search “website hosts preview” on Google.
Install an app on your OS X desktop computer, and manage your hosts file with many more options. (Thanks Sridhar for this recommendation!)
- GasMask GitHub link
- Download link above doesn’t work so you’ll have to find another one elsewhere.
- When using this, don’t forget to edit preferences and shorten the update interval time.
3. Edit your local computer hosts file
Simply add a line to it, with the IP and then the domain. (Basically tells your computer to look for the domain at exactly that IP instead of doing a DNS-lookup over the web.) I highly don’t recommend this method as it’s annoying. But it’s the old school way people used to do manually.
- MAC –
- WINDOWS –