Better than DO, better than VULTR, better than UpCloud. Definitely better than AWS, GCP.
- Digital Ocean – looks like it was made for kids and wastes space.
- Vultr – kinda outdated and sometimes slow to load.
- UpCloud – not bad but overly edgy on the design, some thing too small or too big. The layout is typical of old Linode or Vultr.
- AWS – whoever designed it should be fired.
- GCP – I’m also not a fan. Some ways better than AWS, some ways worse than AWS…but still comparable to AWS.
What makes the new Linode UI so great for me?
- Compact – fit more items on screen. So you don’t have to scroll forever on accounts with many servers.
- Clever screen layout (for each server) – critical server info shows on all screens, so you can immediately jump into CLI or copy-paste out things without having to click back to the main page.
- Clean – such a mature looking panel. Looks like it was built for professionals. Everything you need sensibly shown.
But how much does cloud manager UI really matter?
Well…if you have only one server, it doesn’t matter. But when you’re managing hundreds or even just dozens of servers, it really adds up. Every extra click (or mis-click) you gets old really fast.
This is why I’m celebrating such a little thing. I love it THAT much. The old Linode UI was great (although not so sexily-designed), then the update totally sucked (everything big and spaced out). And now this recent update has me in tears of joy. It really is perfect and I couldn’t have designed it any better myself.
Want to try Linode?
- Use my referral link.