A quick review of this awesome little media management plugin.
I loved it the moment I saw it, and enjoyed it so much more once I installed it. It’s one of those clever little plugins that I think would be useful for many sites. Especially ones with tons of images and need better ways of organizing them.
What does HappyFiles do?
Basically, HappyFiles allows you to manage WordPress media library in a better way.
- You can create your own category system instead of using the default WordPress year/month.
- You can tag and place your images in folders (HF calls them “categories”, and even subfolders within those folders.
- You can put images into multiple folders if you wanted.
- Upload images directly into your created folders.
- Restrict category management based on user roles.
Why is this useful? It’s useful if you have a ton of images. Want to find them easier, or for faster replacement or management. There are many sites that have tons of images and can’t find them as easily with the WordPress default system (of putting them only by year and month).
Another nice thing is that it doesn’t change the way WordPress manages your images. You can install or delete the HappyFiles plugin and it doesn’t change your break your image links or change their location in any manner. These HappyFiles folder and tagging system happens “virtually” (not sure I chose the right word for this).
Other awesome features in HappyFiles:
- Can easily make auto-galleries using shortcodes of your HappyFiles folders.
- Import existing image folders from other media management plugins.
- Organize your post types – this feature alone is SO AWESOME AND CLEVER!!!
There are a handful of other features in there and also on the roadmap that I think would be really useful. Being able to organize my posts internally is worth even more to me than the media management function. It’s that amazing to me.
Clarification on the posts management capability.
Just a comment to everyone following this as I didn’t do a very good job explaining the ability to internally-categorize all post types. This plugin is useful even if you don’t need media management. You can use it to organize ANY POST TYPE….posts, pages, products, reviews, projects, etc.
To do this, go to your HappyFiles settings page and check all the post types you want to enable it for. It’s super cool!
How well is HappyFiles built?
It’s coded really nicely. Super fast, doesn’t slow your site at all.
Yes, YOU should buy HappyFiles
It’s only $19 until September 15, 2020 for unlimited sites, unlimited use, free updates forever. After that it’s $59.
If you have a big site with tons of media or posts (of any post type), you WILL appreciate HappyFiles. The price is so damn cheap anyway.
Not very usefull without Vertical Scroll Bar for Categories :-/
I’m sure you can ask him to put it in. The developer is super responsive.