I can’t believe I’ve put up with months of the annoying Microsoft Windows update restarting, failing, and recovering my windows installation. An endless cycle that kept harassing me for an upgrade.
I’ve run into numerous error messages like these below:
- 0xC1900101 0x30018 the installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP operation
- Please provide the support representative with this error code: 0xc1900107
- Windows could not configure one or more system components. To install windows, restart the computer and then restart the installation.
I tried various solutions that all failed to work:
- Disable WINDOWS UPDATE SERVICE (from services.msc)
- Clean boot (disabling non-Microsoft items from starting up with Windows)
- Disabling Windows Defender & Windows Firewall
- Deleting the “SoftwareDistribution” folder
- Downloading and running the Windows Upgrade Assistant tool
- Downloading and running the Windows Update Troubleshooter tool
- Downloading and running the Windows Media Creation tool
- Updated my bios as well as motherboard chipset drivers.
Anyway, you get the point. I’ve tried everything and no matter what, the update would fail in the same spot (at 45%) every time. Thankfully, it recovered successfully.
Here’s the thing that worked for me:
- Run the update, let it download everything.
- Then while it’s installing, unplug ALL USB devices except for your mouse and keyboard. (My only 3rd device was the wireless USB adapter.)
And just like that, it worked!!!!