I can’t believe I’ve put up with months of the annoying Microsoft Windows update restarting, failing, and recovering my windows installation. An endless cycle that kept harassing me for an upgrade.
I’ve run into numerous error messages like these below:
- 0xC1900101 0x30018 the installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during SYSPREP operation
- Please provide the support representative with this error code: 0xc1900107
- Windows could not configure one or more system components. To install windows, restart the computer and then restart the installation.
I tried various solutions that all failed to work:
- Disable WINDOWS UPDATE SERVICE (from services.msc)
- Clean boot (disabling non-Microsoft items from starting up with Windows)
- Disabling Windows Defender & Windows Firewall
- Deleting the “SoftwareDistribution” folder
- Downloading and running the Windows Upgrade Assistant tool
- Downloading and running the Windows Update Troubleshooter tool
- Downloading and running the Windows Media Creation tool
- Updated my bios as well as motherboard chipset drivers.
Anyway, you get the point. I’ve tried everything and no matter what, the update would fail in the same spot (at 45%) every time. Thankfully, it recovered successfully.
Here’s the thing that worked for me:
- Run the update, let it download everything.
- Then while it’s installing, unplug ALL USB devices except for your mouse and keyboard. (My only 3rd device was the wireless USB adapter.)
And just like that, it worked!!!!
Manually Reset Windows Update Components
It might happen you are getting the error code 0xc1900107 due to faulty Windows Update components. So, to fix the Windows upgrade error, try manually resetting your Windows Update components.
Used Command prompt with admin elevated.
And hit Enter after typing each and wait for one command to successfully perform, before typing the next one:
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
Other methods found here on this website